Work for Worcester | City of Worcester, MA
The city of Worcester is the heart of central Massachusetts and the Commonwealth and a wonderful place to work. With a population of more than 200,000 and thriving businesses, renowned colleges, diverse cultural venues and a vibrant social scene, Worcester is a premier New England city and a great place to live and work. Join our effort to provide unparalleled professional services to our community. Be part of a shared mission to build strong neighborhoods, create a vibrant, thriving city, maintain sound financial stewardship, and create opportunity for all. We offer one competitive pay as well as a comprehensive service package. This is your chance to do good by doing good!
Some of these benefits include the following:
The City of Worcester offers a wide range of insurance options, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, and offers 75 percent coverage on health plans.
- Employees are entitled to benefits from the first day of work – which not many employers offer.
- Offers a choice of health plans with either broad or focused plans to suit everyone’s needs; whether individual or family.
- Employees may purchase supplemental universal life insurance, term life insurance, or a variety of short-term and/or long-term disability plans.
- Social Security premiums are deducted from your paycheck before taxes.
- Direct-billed optional benefits, including auto and home insurance, pet insurance, and ID card theft protection, are also available to sign up year-round!
The city recognizes that a career is only part of a healthy lifestyle. City employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year and offer different types of vacations based on an employee’s needs. We offer a vacation policy based on salary grade and length of service of up to five weeks. Employees have the option of direct deposits as well as deductions for necessities such as persons in need of care, medical services, transport, etc.
- Save money each year in your flexible spending account in an employee-determined amount. These savings are deducted from the employee’s salary prior to calculating taxes, resulting in additional savings for the employee.
- Employees incur sick time which creates potential illness.
The City of Worcester recognizes that employees have the talent to grow in their jobs and careers, and educational opportunities are a great way to do that. The city offers a tuition waiver program that reduces the cost of attending certain courses at local institutions, including Anna Maria College, Assumption University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Worcester State University. Employees who meet the university’s entry requirements have the opportunity to take a course at a reduced price every semester. For certain specialist agencies, the city also covers the costs of vocational training or professional membership that are required to carry out the work.
- Registration is based on the available places, which are determined by the individual universities.
The City of Worcester is part of the Massachusetts pension system, which means that after ten years of employment, a worker can receive a lifetime guaranteed income and post-employment health benefits. The city’s plan is transferable within the Massachusetts system, which means that time you’ve earned with other state and local government agencies, as well as with the federal military, can contribute to your tenure.
The city also connects employees to pre-tax, self-funded defined contribution plans for those who want to enhance their retirement with investment returns.
Current Job Openings
SENIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
ASSISTANT CITY SOLICITOR, HEAD ATTORNEY
Show all positions
The City of Worcester is an Equal Opportunity/Encouragement Employer. The City of Worcester ensures that every person has equal access to all employment opportunities in the city. The City is all-inclusive and will not discriminate on the basis of disability, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, age, color, religious affiliation, national origin, genetic information, ancestry, military service, or source of income.