FEMA provides equal access to all disaster survivors
FEMA and the state of Louisiana are committed to providing disaster relief to people with disabilities who have access and functional needs. There is also support for those who communicate in languages ââother than English.
Some people without a disability may have temporary or long-term illnesses that they also need a little extra help with but may not even think of asking. FEMA offers additional support to individuals such as older adults, those with English problems, or those with transportation or financial difficulties. Make sure to answer âYesâ to Question 24, which asks about the functional requirements of the FEMA application, to see how we can help you.
How to apply
The quickest and easiest way to apply is to Disaster Relief.gov.
Survivors can also apply through the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.
When requesting assistance, have the following information ready:
- A current phone number where you can be reached
- Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now
- Your social security number, if you have one
- A general list of damage and loss if you know what they are
- Your insurance number and the name of your agent or company
If you need housing or assistance due to a disability, ask FEMA at the time of application or at any time during the assistance process. Here’s how:
- Call the emergency help line at 800-621-3362. If you are using a relay service such as Video Relay Service (VRS), Closed Captioning Telephone Service, or others, provide FEMA with the number for that service.
- FEMA can provide interpreters, real-time subtitles and information in alternative formats such as large print, audio and electronic versions. The agency also offers free services to help survivors communicate with their staff and understand FEMA programs. Aids include:
- Information available in accessible electronic formats on the FEMA website and on social media
- Qualified American Sign Language Interpreters
- Qualified multilingual interpreters
- Information written in several languages